Many stars have overcome their struggle with alcohol, while others continue to struggle or experience severe consequences. He died of liver failure after three decades of heavy alcohol consumption. Kanye West, Brad Pitt, Ben Affleck — people from all different walks of life battle addiction whether they’re doctors, lawyers, students, stay-at-home moms, professional athletes or performers. And while some struggle celebrities who died of alcoholism in silence for many years, it’s important for them to know that they’re not alone. As an industry professional JourneyPure has become one of my most trusted resources. Patient care and engagement are always top notch, and I know that I can always trust that the patient and their families will be in the best position to recover. Solid clinically, and more importantly these are good and genuinely caring people.
After filming Miami Vice, Colin Farrell, 43, admitted that he “didn’t want to live” due, in large part, to the stress of his drug and alcohol addiction. Rehab, however, helped completely change his life and helped him to mend relationships broken by years of substance abuse. In 2018, the Dumbo actor even went back to a $36,000 per month treatment facility for help managing substance abuse cravings before he might relapse.
Individualized, evidence based treatment, to fit your needs.
A star of the stage and screen, Burton was a well-regarded actor nominated for a record seven Academy Awards without a win. After a long stint of alcoholism – which included being diagnosed with cirrhosis of the kidneys and liver – Burton died August 5, 1984 in his home in Switzerland. Drinking ProblemsLists about the effects of heavy drinking and people who live with addiction to alcohol. All of these people had more than fame and drug addiction in common.
Holiday used drugs and alcohol to self-medicate and deal with years of sexual abuse as a child and teenager. On July 17, 1959, she died of pulmonary edema and heart failure due to alcohol-induced cirrhosis of the liver. Hollywood legend, Elizabeth Taylor, battled an addiction to alcohol and prescription painkillers for much of her life.
The Most Famous High-Functioning Alcoholics — Infographic
The cookbook author revealed in December 2020 that she was “four weeks sober” while responding to a fan’s comment on her dancing video about wanting “whatever drugs” she was on. That same month, she shared that Holly Whitaker’s book, Quit Like a Woman, inspired her sobriety journey. In an essay for GQ, the singer revealed that when she stopped drinking alcohol in January 2021, that was “the most rebellious thing” she’s ever done. “People were as replaceable as they had deemed me to be. Imposter syndrome had stiff competition against my self-hatred at that point.” The singer previously sought treatment and entered a sober house in 2013, but relapsed after six years of sobriety and was rushed to the hospital following a near-fatal drug overdose in 2018. Hollywood is no stranger to sober celebs, with many using their experiences to help other alcoholics and addicts find the courage they need to start their sobriety journey.
- Track the role of alcohol in injuries and deaths, with more routine alcohol toxicology testing among patients and people who have died.
- Unfortunately, Mr. Hoffman’s death is only the most recent to be added to a way-too-long list of stars we lost because of drugs.
- “It could be creatively fueling, but I think what’s really helped ground me is learning the difference between creative spontaneity and emotional recklessness in everyday life.”
- The most recent tragic drug-related celebrity death on everybody’s lips is that of Philip Seymour Hoffman.
Veronica Lake was an actress best known for her femme fatale film roles. She was very successful initially, but her career quickly declined, in part due to her drinking. The cause of his death was hemorrhages as a result of alcoholism. When he did pass in 1984 at the age of 58, it was due to an intracerebral hemorrhage. His actual death was sudden, but his health had been declining for many years due to alcoholism. Baseball player who spent his entire career with the New York Yankees, noted after his career had ended that alcohol had hurt him both personally and professionally.
Celebrities Alcohol Addiction
She died in 2007 from a drug overdose of the sedative chloral hydrate combined with other prescription drugs Klonopin, Ativan, Serax, and Valium. Tragically, Smith’s 20-year-old son, Daniel, also died from drugs 5 months before his mother. Amy Winehouse, 27, was https://ecosoberhouse.com/ a very talented British singer whose death in 2011 was ruled as accidental alcohol poisoning. She had also struggled with various co-occurring problems, such as self-harm, depression, and bulimia. This famous guitarist’s career was ruined by chronic alcoholism.
- The Kim Possible voice actress celebrated being five years sober with a TikTok video highlighting her biggest accomplishments.
- Behind the scenes, however, he had been struggling with a long-term battle with drugs and alcohol.
- Amy passed away in her London’s district Camden apartment.
- Everything is thrown at you.” He also described how has learned from his past and continues to fight the “never-ending struggle” of addiction,with therapy and Alcoholics Anonymoushelping change his life.
- At press time, another example of celebrity substance abuse has surfaced.